Talks for Growing Christians
The Vision of Joshua, the High Priest
Lesson Number 4
- Israel will be restored to its position as a kingdom of priests.
- Israel will be blessed with the presence of a perfect King and a perfect kingdom.
- Are you still dressed in filthy rags?
- Outline, generally, the prophecies of Zechariah by chapters.
- How long did it take Zechariah to have his visions?
- Why were the visions given by God to Zechariah?
- What is the focus or theme of the fourth vision of Zechariah?
- Israel had lost a particular position that God intended for His people. What was this position? How had Israel lost this position?
- Eight visions – Chapters 1-6
Four messages – Chapters 7-8
Two burdens (or oracles) – Chapters 9-14
- All eight visions came to Zechariah during one night.
- To encourage the remnant of Jews who had returned from the seventy-year captivity in Babylon.
- The focus is on internal cleansing. Israel will be cleansed and restored to the position that God originally intended for His people.
- God’s original intent for His people was to be a kingdom of priests. Israel lost this position because of sin and disobedience.
- Joshua, the cleansed high priest, is given a renewed commission. Remember, Joshua stands for the whole nation of Israel and the future restored nation as a kingdom of priests. Remember, too, that the brand plucked from the fire was the entire remnant who had returned from the fires of the Babylonian captivity. Consider God’s great love for His people, Israel. Are you a brand plucked from the fire? Consider God’s great love for His people, believers.
- Refer to Zechariah 3:8-9. Note the three messianic titles of the Lord Jesus in these verses: “My Servant,” “the BRANCH,” and “the stone.” Now read Isaiah 52:13; Isaiah 11:1; and Daniel 2:44-45. Then consider the wonderful blessing awaiting Israel in the future with the presence of a perfect King and a perfect Kingdom. Will you be there, too? Be sure of your salvation and eternal destiny.
- Are you still dressed in filthy rags? As Joshua the high priest, representing the nation of Israel, was a brand plucked from the fire, so we who have trusted Christ are brands plucked from the fires of hell. Like Joshua when cleansed, our filthy garments are removed and the robes of Christ’s righteousness are given to us. Are you a priest of the most high God, with Christ as your High Priest? See Isaiah 64:6 and 1 Peter 2:9.
- “Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to oppose him.” Zechariah 3:1
- “Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments…the Angel of the Lord said, ‘Take away the filthy garments from him’…and to Joshua He said, ‘See, I have removed your iniquity from you, and I will clothe you with rich robes.’” Zechariah 3:3-4
- “Behold, ‘I am bringing forth My Servant the BRANCH…behold, the stone.” Zechariah 3:8-9