Talks for Growing Christians
Naomi Informs Ruth that Boaz is a Close Relative
Lesson Number 6
- Boaz is a picture of Christ in his kindness.
- Boaz is a picture of Christ in his position.
- Let’s glean only in the field of Boaz.
- How much is an ephah (of barley)? This doesn’t seem like a lot for a full days work. Discuss.
- What was Naomi’s reaction when she found out that Ruth had been gleaning in the field of Boaz?
- What is another word for kinsman or relative in the Old Testament? What does it mean?
- How is Boaz a picture of Christ in kindness?
- How is Boaz a picture of Christ in position?
- What were the three prerequisites for the kinsman redeemer?
- About half a bushel. This would be half a bushel of pure grain. Actually it is quite a bit, considering that Ruth had threshed the stalks and winnowed it so the chaff was eliminated.
- She was elated, exclaiming, ìBlessed be he of the Lord, who has not forsaken his kindness to the living and the dead!î Boaz was a close relative. Naomi realized that God had not forgotten them.
- ìRedeemer.î The responsibility of the close kinsman was to help out and redeem what the impoverished relative had lost.
- Both Naomi and Ruth spoke about his kindness (Ruth 2:13, 20). Boaz provided water and food for Ruth. He provided and personally passed the roasted grain to her, and ate with her. She ate and was satisfied. This is a picture of the communion that we enjoy with Christ in His kindness. He invites us to dine with Him. In His kindness, the Lord not only provides the spiritual food that we need, but He wants to have fellowship with us.
- Boaz was a kinsman redeemer, and under the law the kinsman had several responsibilities. See Leviticus 25:25 and Deuteronomy 25:5-10. Christ is our kinsman redeemer.
- a. he had to be a close relative
b. he had to have the means to redeem
c. he had to be willing. The Lord Jesus, as our kinsman redeemer fulfills these requisites perfectly. See Hebrews 2:14-15 and 1 Peter 1:18-19.
- Have you experienced some unexpected sheaves and grain from the Lord that sweetened your life?
- Do you know some unfulfilled and unsatisfied Christians? Where are they gleaning?
- Are you gleaning only in the field of Boaz? What does the Lord say to us in 1 John 2:15-17 about gleaning in fields other than His?
- “Blessed be he of the Lord, who has not forsaken His kindness to the living and the dead!” Ruth 2:20