Talks for Growing Christians
God's Ultimate Purpose is to Conform Us to the Image of Christ
Lesson Number 24
- The creation groans awaiting the revealing of the sons of God.
- The Christian groans awaiting the redemption of the body.
- The Comforter groans awaiting the reality of God's purpose.
- Don't forget Romans 8:29-30.
- What is God's ultimate purpose for the Christian?
- List the three groanings in this passage of Scripture.
- What does it mean that creation groans?
- What does it mean that the Christian groans?
- What does it mean that the Spirit groans?
- Name our two Intercessors.
- To conform us to the image of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ
- The creation groans, the Christian groans, and the Comforter groans.
- Even though the heavens still declare the glory of God, there is disease and decay, death and disaster, and the universe is becoming more disordered and dying. Creation will be delivered from the bond of corruption, so creation is eagerly awaiting the day when all things are subject to the Lord Himself.
- The Christian eagerly awaits the adoption. All of the Christian's groaning can be traced back to the effect of sin. The main idea is that we groan because of the sinful nature we still have.
- The Spirit Himself groans to help us in our weakness of sin. He groans as He prays for us in the right way, the way pleasing to God. His groanings are beyond speech, but in line with God's ultimate purpose for us.
- The Spirit within us and our Lord Jesus Christ, now at the right hand of God in heaven.
- The adoption process as sons of God will one day be complete. See Romans 8:24-25. It's a sure hope! How great is your anticipation of this?
- Consider our two Intercessors. Does this encourage you that prayers are answered, and more importantly, that they are in line with God's will for our lives.
- Don't forget Romans 8:29-30, God's ultimate purpose for every believer.
- "The whole creation groans...and we groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body." Romans 8:22-23
- "The Spirit helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groaning which cannot be uttered." Romans 8:26
- "We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28
- "God predestined us to be conformed to the image of His Son." Romans 8:29
- "Whom God predestined, He also called; whom He called, He also justified; and whom He justified, He also glorified." Romans 8:30