Talks for Growing Christians
The Believer’s Present and Future Condition
Lesson Number 23
- The present condition of the sons of God involves suffering and separation.
- The future condition of the sons of God involves inheritance and glory.
- Have you ever addressed God as "Dad?"
- Because we are still on this earth, we are involved in suffering. What does this mean in the context of Romans 8?
- Because we are still on this earth, we are involved in separation. What does this mean in the context of Romans 8?
- How do we put to death the deeds of death?
- How, specifically, can we put to death the deeds of death?
- We are heirs and joint-heirs. With whom?
- The primary idea here is not disease, but suffering for the sake of Christ. Sufferings include persecution, both verbal and by action.
- Separation means that we must put to death the sinful deeds of the body. Because of indwelling sin, sin is still with us.
- By feeding the new nature (the spiritual nature) and starving the old nature (the sinful flesh).
- By avoiding the things that appeal to the flesh - reading what is not pleasing to God, watching questionable TV shows, going to movies that degrade.
- We are heirs to God, our Father, if we are believers. We are joint-heirs with God's Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- How much suffering have you experienced as a result of being a Christian? These sufferings are called "light afflictions" in light of glory.
- Consider your status as a Christian - heirs and joint-heirs with Christ. Does this challenge you to live more fully in the Spirit now?
- When you say "Abba, Father," do you think of the love and affection and trust you have in the Lord?
- "As many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are the sons of God." Romans 8:12
- "You did not receive the spirit of bondage to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, 'ABA, Father." Romans 8:15
- "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and joint heirs with christ." Romans 8:16-17
- "I consider the sufferings of this present time not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God." Romans 8:18-19