Talks for Growing Christians
Why God Gave the Mosaic Law
Lesson Number 19
- The law is not sinful, but it reveals what is sinful.
- The law is not sinful, but it arouses what is sinful.
- The law is not sinful, but it exposes what is sinful.
- Test yourself on the ten commandments.
- The law cannot save or sanctify us. Why not?
- What is the purpose of the law?
- The law arouses what is sinful. What does this mean?
- How could the law, which is good and holy and righteous, actually stir up sin?
- Because by the law is knowledge of sin, but Jesus Christ alone can save. We are saved by grace through faith, not the law.
- To reveal what is sinful. Without the law, we would not have known what was sinful.
- When you see sin, it arouses sinful desires in the human nature.
- The problem is not in the law, but in the sinful nature of mankind.
- The law exposes what is sinful. The problem is not in the law, but in the sinful nature of a person. Do you find this to be true in your life? What can you do about it?
- We are free from the law. To do what?
- Test yourself on the ten commandments, going through them one by one. See Exodus 20. Is there one that is particularly difficult for you?
- Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law...apart from the law, sin was dead." Romans 7:7-8