Talks for Growing Christians
Christians Are Free from the Requirements of the Law
Lesson Number 18
- The believer has died with Christ, and is therefore free from the law.
- The believer has risen with Christ, and is therefore free to serve in love.
- Don't try to keep the law.
- Does the Lord Jesus Christ have to keep the law today?
- Do we have to keep the law today?
- What is our spiritual position today?
- Has the law died?
- As believers, we are free to serve our Lord in love. What is the illustration given in the cassette to show this relationship?
- Of course not! He died to the law. When He died He met all the righteous claims of the law and therefore He is free from the law.
- No. We, too, are free from the law because we died with Christ, and we've been raise with Christ.
- Christ is our spiritual representative. We identify with Him in His death, burial and resurrection. Our standing before God is in righteousness, not ours, but because of Christ.
- No, but the believer has died with Christ.
- The picture is given of an indentured servant in early colonial times. In order to get to America, they enslaved themselves for a period of time. Later, by choice they continued to serve their masters and became part of the family. At that point they served in newness of spirit.
- Consider what it means that the believer has died with Christ and now is married to Christ.
- Try to fully realize what it means to be empowered by the Holy Spirit.
- Don't try to keep the law. As believers, our focus is to serve the Lord in love and bear fruit to God. Are you bearing fruit?
- "My brethren, you have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, married to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God." Romans 7:4
- "When we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. But now we have been delivered from the law...so we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter." Romans 7:5-6