Talks for Growing Christians
Even the Religious Jews Were Guilty Before God
Lesson Number 7
- God condemns religious hypocrisy.
- God condemns religious ritualism.
- Is the name of God blasphemed because of you?
- Why were the Jews considered religious hypocrites?
- Give an example of God condemning religious ritualism.
- When is a religious ritualism like circumcision honored by God?
- How was the name of God blasphemed by the Jews?
- They claimed to be keepers of the law, even boasting in the law of God; they claimed to know God’s will and do only what was good; they claimed to be guides to the blind and light to those in darkness; and they claimed to be spiritually mature teachers of God’s word. But they taught others and not themselves; they preached God’s warnings but failed to heed them. They were hypocrites, and God condemns hypocrisy.
- Circumcision is profitable if you keep the law, but if you break it, it becomes uncircumcision. The Jewish people were not honoring God or following His law, even though they were still practicing circumcision.
- When the heart and not just the flesh is circumcised.
- The Jewish people claimed that they were following God, but at the same time they were breaking God’s law by lying and stealing and committing adultery. As a result, the Gentiles had no respect for the God of the Jews.
- Is it possible that you are a religious hypocrite? Are you wearing some kind of religious mask? Are you in fellowship with your brothers and sisters in Christ, but behind their backs slander them? The Lord Jesus said, ”Woe to you, you hypocrites.”
- Is it possible that you are practicing religious ritualism to impress people or to justify yourself? Or are you giving honest praise to God Himself?
- The Jewish people claimed that they were following God, but at the same time they were breaking God’s law. Be sure that you are a hearer and a doer of God’s word, lest you blaspheme His name before the unsaved.
- “The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.” Romans 2:24
- “He is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is a matter of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God.” Romans 2:29