Talks for Growing Christians
Principles Concerning the Righteous Judgment of God
Lesson Number 6
- The coming judgment of God will be according to works.
- The coming judgment of God will be according to privilege.
- The coming judgment of God will be according to conscience.
- Remember, no favorites and no secrets.
- Is Paul’s gospel your gospel?
- What is the only name given whereby men must be saved? Support your answer with Scripture.
- Romans 2:7-10 sounds like a works salvation. How do you harmonize these verses with Ephesians 2:9 and Titus 2:5, that salvation is not by works?
- Is the coming judgment of God according to privilege?
- Where did a person’s moral conscience come from?
- Does God show partiality? Are there secrets before God?
- Jesus. Acts 4:12 and John 14:6.
- The overall context is not that good works can save a person. No one apart from salvation does good works (“no, not one” – Romans 3:12). Good works are not a means of salvation but characterize and give evidence of salvation.
- The Jews had the law of God given to them, a great privilege and a great responsibility. The Gentiles did not have the law given to them, but they had their God-given moral conscience and the evidence of God in creation. God takes all of this into account when He judges. Because of these differences, there are degrees of punishment in God’s judgment.
- It is God-given and in line with God’s moral law.
- There is no partiality with God (Romans 1:11), and there are no secrets before God (Romans 2:16).
- All are guilty before God, and God holds people accountable in this universe that He has created. God will and He must judge sinners. God’s judgment is certain and it is universal. Contemplate the day and wrath and the righteous judgment of God.
- The judgment of God is according to truth (not circumstantial evidence, but facts; not man’s idea of what truth is, but what God has revealed as truth). Is there any relativism with God concerning His judgment?
- “Is Paul’s gospel your gospel?” Does it include both the love of God and the judgment of God?
- “God will render to each one according to his deeds – eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good…but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth – indignation and wrath.” Romans 2:6-9
- “There is no partiality with God.” Romans 2:11