Talks for Growing Christians
An Interlude Between the Sixth and Seventh Seals of Judgment
Lesson Number 8
- There will be 144,000 Jewish evangelists during the Tribulation period.
- There will be many thousands of Gentile converts during the Tribulation period.
- Don’t be too dogmatic about the details.
- How does Revelation 7 fit into the context of the chapters around it?
- When during the seven year Tribulation period, will the seal judgments occur?
- Who specifically are the 144,000 witness described in this chapter?
- How does Romans 11 relate to this passage in Revelation?
- Who are the great multitude of saved Gentiles described in verses 9-14?
- In Revelation 6 John saw six of the seven seal judgments that will take place during the future Tribulation period. This chapter is an interlude, before the seventh seal judgment is described in Revelation 8.
- The seal judgments will take place during the first half of the Tribulation, as the “beginning of sorrows” (Matthew 24:8).
- They are Jewish evangelists, 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel.
- Romans 11 (and many Old Testament prophecies) foretell a great spiritual revival in the nation of Israel. Israel has been temporarily set aside during the present time of the Church age, but after the Rapture God will raise up a godly remnant of Jews, some of whom will be the 144,000 witnesses.
- These are the saved Gentiles of the Tribulation period who live through the Tribulation and enter the Millennial Kingdom of the Lord on earth.
- Since the Church will be in heaven during the Tribulation period, these 144,000 witnesses are not from the Church. They are Jewish evangelists who are converted during the Tribulation. Why is this an important point?
- There are many groups of people described in John’s Revelation, and it is easy to get them confused. Review each of these people groups, who and where they are during the Tribulation: a. The Church b. The 144,000 Jewish Evangelists c. The Martyred Tribulation Saints d. The Gentile Tribulation Saints
- There are many details involved in John’s vision. While we can seek to the understand these details, we should not be too dogmatic about our opinion. Be gracious as you study Revelation together.
- “One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed.” Revelation 7:4
- “Behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb” Revelation 7:9