Talks for Growing Christians
Messages to the Church at Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea
Lesson Number 4
- The Church at Sardis represents the lifeless church.
- The Church at Philadelphia represents the faithful church.
- The Church at Laodicea represents the lukewarm church.
- Don’t just attend church!
- Who were the “angels” or messengers of the seven churches of Asia? Is Revelation 3:5 teaching that a believer’s salvation can be lost?
- Is Revelation 3:5 teaching that a believer's salvation can be lost?
- Which two of the seven churches did not receive a rebuke from the Lord?
- How was the church at Philadelphia faithful?
- What is the proper application of Revelation 3:20?
- While this may refer to special guardian angels appointed to protect each of the churches, they are more likely the human leaders of the local churches. These men were to read the letter that had been sent to their church and convey the message to the people of that church.
- No, many other Scriptures teach the eternal security of the believer. This verse confirms the truth of perseverance of the saints: true believers will persevere and overcome and those who persevere and overcome are true believers.
- Smyrna – the persecuted church, and Philadelphia – the faithful church
- They kept the Word of the Lord and did not deny His name.
- This verse is speaking about having communion and fellowship with the Lord.
- Have you known any churches or Christians who were lifeless like Sardis? How do we keep this from happening to ourselves and our church? Read Revelation 3:2-5 for the answer.
- The church of Laodicea is similar to many professing Christians in the Church today – apathetic, half-hearted, unconcerned, indifferent, lukewarm. Read Revelation 3:4-21. The true believers are exhorted to live righteously and find their sufficiency in close communion with Christ.
- Do you just attend church, or are you a vital member of your church? Hold on to what you have and strengthen what remains!
- “Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain… Remember therefore how you have received and heard; hold fast and repent.” Revelation 3:2-3
- “See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it.” Revelation 3:8
- “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Revelation 3:6, 13, 22