Talks for Growing Christians
The Message to the Church of Pergamum and Thyatira
Lesson Number 3
- The Church at Pergamum represents the compromising church.
- The Church at Thyatira represents the church that tolerates false doctrine.
- Go for the white stone and the morning star.
- Where are the seven churches of Revelation located?
- What was the good news for Pergamum?
- Who was Balaam?
- What was the bad news for Pergamum?
- What false teaching was tolerated by the Church at Thyatira?
- Who are the overcomers?
- These churches were located in the Roman Provinces of Asia, where the country of Turkey is located today.
- The Church at Pergamum was commended for not denying the name of Christ even in the face of persecution and in the midst of pagan surroundings.
- Balaam was a false prophet or diviner in the Old Testament who showed Balak, king of Moab, how to seduce the men of Israel and get them involved in idolatry and sexual immorality with the women of Moab.
- The Church of Pergamum was guilty of compromising in the areas of teaching and morality.
- The teaching that Christians could engage in fornication and participate in the pagan festivals and yet be free from sinning.
- The overcomers are committed Christians who do not compromise in their faith and do not tolerate false doctrine.
- Discuss the relative and changing standards of secular society. God’s standards do not change, because they are based on His unchanging Word. Is this a comfort or a conviction to you?
- Discuss the rewards given to overcomers in this section. Discuss the hidden manna, the white stone, and the morning star. Will you partake of these special rewards?
- “You allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.” Revelation 2:20
- “All the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.” Revelation 2:23