Talks for Growing Christians
The Eternal State, and the New Jerusalem Descending out of Heaven
Lesson Number 24
- The New Heavens and New Earth describe conditions of the Eternal State.
- The New Jerusalem descends out of heaven for the Eternal State.
- Remember, the best passport is immediate and free!
- What time frame is addressed in this chapter?
- What will happen to the present Heaven and Earth?
- Is the New Jerusalem described here part of the Millennial Kingdom or Eternal State?
- What is the significance of the 24 names written on the New Jerusalem?
- Revelation 21 teaches about the Eternal State, which follows the millennial reign of Christ.
- They will be completely cleansed and purified with fire according to 2 Peter 3. This will make way for the New Heavens and New Earth.
- This does not match the description of the earthly Jerusalem during the Millennial Kingdom, described in Ezekiel 40-48. One theory is that the New Jerusalem will hover over the earth and the earthly Jerusalem during the Millennium and will make its full descent to New Earth for the Eternal State.
- The names of the 12 tribes of Israel on the gates show that the New Jerusalem is the eternal home of redeemed Israel. The names of the 12 apostles on the foundation stones show that the New Jerusalem is the eternal home of the Church.
- Discuss the many things that will not be in the Eternal State. Discuss the many wonderful things that will be in the Eternal State.
- Look at John 14:2. The Lord said He was preparing a place for us, and it is the New Jerusalem. The New Jerusalem will be the home of all the redeemed in the eternal state. Discuss how you imagine it will be to live together with all the redeemed people from throughout history. What are you looking forward to most?
- Is your name written in the Lamb’s Book of Life? This is your passport to the New Jerusalem. You can get this passport immediately and for free!
- “Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea.” Revelation 21:1
- “He who testifies to these things says, ‘Surely I am coming quickly.’ Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!” Revelation 22:20
- “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God.” Revelation 21:3
- “The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light.” Revelation 21:23