Talks for Growing Christians
Praise the Lord's Judgement and Blessings; An Enthronement Psalm
Lesson Number 68
- Believers should praise the Lord for His goodness and greatness.
- Believers will praise the Lord for His sovereignty and Scripture.
- You can still bear fruit in old age!
- Study now what you will appreciate forever.
- What type of psalm is Psalm 92?
- How does Romans 1:33 relate to verse 5?
- What is an enthronement psalm?
- What time period does Psalm 93 look forward to?
- Why is God's control over the tumultuous sea a good illustration of His sovereignty?
- We see from the title that is was a psalm of praise to be sung for worship on the Sabbath day.
- Both emphasize the depth and greatness of God's ways. According to Psalm 92, we should thank the Lord for all His works and ways, even when we can't figure them all out.
- An enthronement or theocratic psalm, such as Psalm 93, praises God who is the king who sovereignly reigns over all the earth from His throne in heaven.
- This psalm anticipates the millennial reign of Christ when the Lord will reign over this earth from His literal throne in Jerusalem. In fact, we may sing this psalm when we reign with Christ in His earthly kingdom.
- To the people of the ancient Middle East, the sea was unpredictable, uncontrollable, hostile, and hazardous. But it was not a problem for the all-powerful God of Israel. Also, in the Canaanite religions which had penetrated Israel, the god Baal was supposedly over the sea. In truth, the one true God of Israel was sovereign over the tumultuous waves and breakers.
- Psalm 92:12-15 discuss believers bearing fruit in old age. If you are in this category, what are you doing to stay active and effective for the Lord? If you are a younger believer, is there an older believer you would like to grow to become like?
- Bible studies are surely helpful in teaching us how to apply God's Word to our lives today. Have you ever thought of the effect Bible studies may have on your future? Discuss the claim that understanding God's Word better now will help you appreciate it more - forever.
- Psalm 92:1 says, "It is good to give thanks to the Lord." Do you agree?
- "It is good to give thanks to the LORD, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High." Psalm 92:1
- "They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing." Psalm 92:14
- "Your testimonies are very sure; Holiness adorns Your house, O LORD, forever." Psalm 93:5