Talks for Growing Christians
A Review of the Early History of Israel
Lesson Number 58
- God’s people should learn and teach the lessons of the Wilderness.
- God’s people should learn and teach the lessons of the Exodus.
- God’s people should learn and teach the lessons of the Land.
- According to Asaph the psalmist, what is the responsibility of each generation?
- According to verses 9-11, why was the tribe of Ephraim not completely successful in battle?
- List four lessons the Children of Israel were to learn and teach their children from the Exodus.
- How is the Land of Canaan referred to in verse 54?
- Every generation has the responsibility to pass on to the next generation the lessons of history that they have learned from the former generation. There is biblical truth in the expression, “If you don’t learn from the mistakes of history, you’re bound to repeat them.”
- Because they failed in their obedience to keep God’s covenant
- Lessons from the Exodus:
-God has superior power over the gods of Egypt.
-God miraculously protected His people from the plagues of Egypt.
-The death of the first born clearly showed that the God of Israel was the one true God.
-The crossing of the Red Sea miraculously delivered God’s people and destroyed the enemy.
- As God’s holy land, which He gave by specific measurement to the Children of Israel
- Discuss the importance of each generation passing on lessons to the next generation. Were your parents open with you about their mistakes and lessons learned? How can you practice transparency before your kids?
- Recall some of the most beneficial lessons you have learned in your life as a believer. How can you teach these lessons to people younger in the faith? You don’t have to stand in front of the church on Sundays to teach; discuss practical ways each of you can teach the younger generation from your own experiences.
- In order to teach the lessons from your past, you have to recall them. Don’t be so busy with your current issues that you forget to reflect on God’s goodness to you in the past. Learn your own lessons and then teach others.
- “We will not hide them from their children, telling to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.” Psalm 78:4
- “How often they provoked Him in the wilderness, and grieved Him in the desert! Yes, again and again they tempted God, and limited the Holy one of Israel.” Psalm 78:40-41