Talks for Growing Christians
God is David's Security and Remembers his Sorrows
Lesson Number 42
- The Lord provides the security for His people.
- The Lord remembers the sorrows of His people.
- Remember to pay your vows.
- When you are afraid, follow the Biblical Road to Courage.
- Let us keep “In God we trust” on our money!
- What is a Michtam (verse 1)?
- What danger was David experiencing in this psalm?
- How does Matthew 10:28 relate to this psalm?
- Explain the reference to tears in a bottle in verse 8.
- What are the three steps on the “Road to Courage”?
- Psalms 56-60 all have “A Michtam of David” in their titles. We don’t know for sure what this means, but it seems the word is derived from a word associated with covering. This may indicate David’s acknowledgment of God’s covering of protection throughout the dangers mentioned in these psalms.
- The Philistines had seized him or captured him in Gath – one of the Philistine cities where David had fled to escape from King Saul, who was out to kill David. See 1 Samuel 21-22.
- Those against us may do a lot to hurt us, but it is only as God allows. Remember, we are immortal until our work on earth is finished. It is more important to fear God than man.
- Tear bottles have been found by archeologists in the land of Israel dating to biblical times. Catching and collecting some of your tears in these small tear bottles during times of sorrow gave more meaning to your sorrow. It was a time to be remembered. David wanted the Lord to remember his times of sorrow.
- 1) Practice the presence of the Lord, by talking to Him in prayer.
2) Trust the Lord completely.
3) Praise the Lord for His promises.
- Discuss a time when you have experienced oppression from people who are out to hurt you in some way. Was this a result of jealousy, or even because of a mistake you made? What did you do in this time of trial and oppression? What might you do differently now?
- The Lord remembers our sorrows. Have you ever been in pain, and it seemed other people did not recognize or sympathize as you wanted them to? You can be sure that the Lord always sees your sorrows and He remembers them.
- Did you ever promise God that you would do something for Him if He delivered you from some kind of problem? Remember to pay your vows!
- “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.” Psalms 56:3
- “In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” Psalms 56:11