Talks for Growing Christians
Separated from the Wicked, and Praising the Lord for His Power
Lesson Number 20
- There is a time and place for imprecation.
- God is sovereign over storms.
- Praise the Lord for being our SSS.
- Let’s not complain about the weather!
- Why is it important to remember the timeframe of these Scriptures?
- What is imprecation?
- What three “Ss” describe our Lord in Psalm 28?
- Who are the “sons of the mighty” or “mighty ones” in Psalm 29:1?
- What inspired David to write Psalm 29?
- Because as Old Testament Scriptures, they were written before the coming of Christ and before the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in every believer. As New Testament believers, we do not have to request that the Lord not turn a deaf ear to us or that we will not be dragged away with the wicked (Psalm 28:1-3). We have assurance that God hears our prayers and that heaven is our future home.
- Imprecation comes from a word meaning “to curse.” Certain Psalms are called imprecatory psalms because they call for God’s judgment on the unbeliever.
- -The Lord is our strength – verses 7,8
-The Lord is our shield – verse 7
-The Lord is our shepherd – verse 9
- This probably refers to angels, who are called upon to give glory unto the Lord and worship Him in the beauty of holiness.
- A mighty storm as it moved in from the Mediterranean Sea and swept inland to Lebanon and Syria north of Israel.
- What is the appropriate time and place for imprecation? Compare Matthew 5:44, Galatians 1:8-9, and 1 Corinthians 16:22. Discuss how biblical imprecation is not a call for personal revenge.
- Losses and changes in our life can be like storms. God is sovereign over the storms and life and can use them to teach us and accomplish His purpose in us. Discuss your most recent storm. What did God teach you through this?
- How will you think of the Lord this week, as your strength, your shield, or your shepherd?
- "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him." Psalm 28:7
- "Give unto the LORD, O you mighty ones; give unto the LORD glory and strength. Give unto the LORD the glory due to His name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness." Psalm 29:1-2