Talks for Growing Christians
David's Integrity in Life, and His Confidence in the Lord
Lesson Number 19
- The lives of believers should be characterized by integrity.
- The lives of believers should be characterized by confidence.
- Follow Psalm 26:3 for integrity.
- What one thing would you ask of the Lord?
- Is David claiming to be perfect in Psalm 26 and teaching salvation by good works?
- What does it mean to “wash your hands in innocence” (v 6)?
- Does a Christian ever need to pray Psalm 27:9?
- List some of the factors of David’s confidence from Psalm 27.
- What “one thing” did David ask of the Lord?
- No, David is not claiming that he lived a perfect life, but he is claiming that in this situation he is innocent.
- This means to take definite action to separate from that which defiles and a determination not to get mixed up in unrighteousness. David did not want to be associated with sinners, knowing that there would be a coming day of judgment.
- No. David was praying this in Old Testament times. All Christians now have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them, so we do not have to pray that the Lord will not abandon us.
- David was looking to the Lord and not to himself. David desired to worship the Lord and fellowship with Him in the Lord’s house. David had sure hope in God’s sovereign plan for his life.
- David wanted to know and experience the presence of the Lord more. He desired close fellowship with the Lord more than anything else in life.
- Discuss the two things that will characterize our lifestyle if we claim a life of integrity:
-We will be separate from sin and sinners.
-We will be separate unto the Lord and His people.
- As with anything in life, we will only spend time in communion with the Lord if we make time for it and make it a priority. Have you seen, as David, that this desire to worship the Lord can give you courageous confidence? Discuss why this may be.
- Will you be “separate from” and “separate unto” this week?
- "Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have walked in my integrity." Psalms 26:1
- "I will wash my hands in innocence." Psalms 26:6
- "The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalms 27:1
- "Wait on the LORD; Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!" Psalms 27:14