Talks for Growing Christians
A Prediction of the Resurrection of Christ
Lesson Number 10
- Faithful believers appreciate their present fellowship.
- Faithful believers appreciate their spiritual inheritance.
- Faithful believers appreciate their eternal security.
- Turn your problem of insomnia into a program of instruction.
- Let the Bible define your standard of excellence!
- Psalm 16 is “A Michtam of David.” What does this mean?
- Describe the three types of Messianic psalms.
- What type of Messianic psalm is Psalm 16?
- Explain the meaning of verses 5-6.
- What is the Bible’s standard of excellence?
- We don’t know exactly what this word means, but because the word “michtam” is related to the verb meaning “to cover,” it may indicate that this is a psalm relating to God’s cover of protection over David in the midst of danger.
- -Pure-prophetic Messianic Psalms – The psalm is all about the Messiah and does not concern the experience of the psalmist. Like other messianic prophecies in the Old Testament it is straight prophecy. See Psalm 110.
-Typical-prophetic Messianic Psalms – The experiences of the psalmist are in view, but the psalm goes beyond to the experiences of the Messiah. The psalmist becomes typical of the coming Messiah.
-Combination Messianic Psalms – Part of the psalm is pure-prophetic and part is typical-prophetic.
- It is a combination Messianic psalm. Throughout most of the psalm David is speaking out of his own experiences of trust in the Lord, and everything he says is typical of Christ, the perfect Man and Son of God, trusting in God the Father. But the second half of verse 10 is pure-prophetic. This could not be said of David in any way.
- David likened his spiritual inheritance to land being divided up by drawing lots, as the Promised Land was divided between the tribes of Israel. David trusted in the sovereignty of God and he knew God’s eternal plans were perfect.
- Righteousness (See verse 3.)
- Do you have both vertical and horizontal fellowship? Vertical fellowship is with the Lord and horizontal fellowship is with fellow believers. Read Psalm 16:1-4. Why are both types of fellowship important to your life as a believer?
- Discuss the doctrine of eternal security. What is the difference between believing in your eternal security, and appreciating it?
- What do you do when you can’t sleep? David used this time for prayer and meditation on God’s Word. We should do the same.
- "I have set the LORD always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved." Psalms 16:8
- "For You will not leave my soul in Sheol, Nor will You allow Your Holy one to see corruption." Psalms 16:10