Talks for Growing Christians
Praise for the Lord’s Sovereignty
Lesson Number 96
- The Sovereign Lord chose the descendants of Jacob as His special people.
- The Sovereign Lord gave the Land of Canaan to His special people.
- Don’t become like an idol!
- What is The Great Hallel?
- What do we mean by “divine sovereignty”?
- What special people did God sovereignly choose?
- What do verses 15-18 show us about the Jewish people?
- What does Psalm 135 show us about the extent of the Land given to the Jewish people?
- Hallel is the Hebrew word for “praise.” Psalms 120-136, all great psalms of praise, are collectively called The Great Hallel.
- By divine sovereignty, we mean that God is in control of everything and He directs all things as He pleases.
- God chose the descendants of Abraham through Jacob to be His special people (verse 4).
- These verses show that the Jewish people were unique among all the peoples of the ancient world, because their God was the one true God. All other nations worshipped idols, the work of men’s hands.
- We see in verses 11-12 that God promised Land on the east side of the Jordan River to the Jewish people as well.
- Discuss the Jewish people as God’s special people. What does Romans 11 teach us about the Jews’ place today?
- If we define an idol as anything that keeps God from being #1 in your life, do you have any idols? How can your adjust your priorities so you do not become spiritually deaf, dumb, and blind?
- Psalm 135 begins and ends with a call to “Praise the Lord.” How will you respond to this call?
- “For the LORD has chosen Jacob for Himself, Israel for His special treasure.” Psalm 135:4
- “Your name, O LORD, endures forever, Your fame, O LORD, throughout all generations.” Psalm 135:13