Talks for Growing Christians
Those Who Will be Blessed or Not Blessed
Lesson Number 93
- The individual or nation that fears the Lord will be blessed.
- The individual or nation that hates Israel will not be blessed.
- Praise the Lord when you are a grandparent!
- Take heart, the enemy will not prevail!
- Are the promised blessings of Psalm 128 as valid today for a faithful believer as they were for Israel in Old Testament times? Review the three-part answer.
- What does it mean to fear the Lord?
- What promises are given to those who fear the Lord in Psalm 128?
- Who is personified in Psalm 129?
- Explain the illustration in verse 6.
- 1) In the New Testament we see the emphasis on spiritual blessings, not physical or material blessings 2) Even in Old Testament times, these were general principles. At times the righteous suffered and the wicked prospered. 3) Are there other factors involved? For example, Job or Joseph So these wonderful promises can still be taken as general principles today, as long as these points are remembered.
- This is talking less about cringing in terror and more about showing honor and reverential respect for the Lord.
- Happiness and blessing in your work (verse 2) and happiness and blessing in your home (verses 3-4)
- The psalm is written as though Israel is speaking about the many persecutors in her past.
- As the short-lived grass tried to take root in the thin soil on some of the flat roofs of ancient Israel, so those who hate Israel and the Jewish people would be brought down.
- Happiness and the pursuit of it are popular topics in our culture today. What does the world teach us about happiness? How does scripture challenge that perspective?
- Review the Abrahamic Covenant from Genesis 12:2-3. How does this unconditional covenant relate to Psalm 129? Can you see the principle “The individual or nation that hates Israel will not be blessed” being played out in current events?
- Though many enemies have afflicted the nation of Israel, they have not prevailed. The same Lord who keeps Israel safe and secure, will guard your soul as well. Be encouraged by 1 John 5:18.
- “Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, who walks in His ways.” Psalm 128:1
- “Many a time they have afflicted me from my youth; yet they have not prevailed against me.” Psalm 129:2