Talks for Growing Christians
Lesson Number 8
- Sexual sin is a foolish departure from the way of wisdom.
- Sexual sin is a deceptive departure from the way of wisdom.
- Sexual sin is a costly departure from the way of wisdom.
- Don’t become desensitized to sin by the media!
- From reading verse 20 in this chapter, we see that Solomon had received teaching from his _________, ________, and his _________, ______________. From their own experiences, it is very likely that they taught Solomon that there were serious _________________ to sexual sin.
- What is Solomon exhorting his son to bind on his heart and around his neck in verse 21?
- Identify the verse or verses that show the deceptiveness of sexual sin. Which of the physical senses are appealed to by those who would seduce a person into sexual sin?
- List the serious consequences of sexual sin described in verses 27-35.
- Verse 20 (also 1:8) shows us that Solomon received teaching from his father, David, as well as his mother, Bathsheba. It is likely they taught Solomon that there are serious consequences to sexual sin.
- In the context of this chapter and book, it is Solomon’s wise counsel, the way of wisdom, the very Word of the Lord, that Solomon is exhorting his son to bind on his heart and around his neck.
- Verses 24-26 identify the physical senses of the ear being seduced and deceived by the flattering tongue, the eye by the physical beauty and the touch by the manipulative hand of the evil woman, the seductress.
- Several of the absolute or potential consequences of sexual sin are punishment (v 29), spiritual destruction (v 32), dishonor, disgrace, an infamous legacy (v 33), and the vengeance of a jealous husband (v 34).
- Discuss the merits of having a trustworthy believer as an accountability friend. Consider the necessity of both people being completely open, transparent and honest in this kind of growing and maturing relationship.
- Have you prayed recently, asking God to keep your conscience alert, strong and clear? Young men, particularly, make this a priority in your life, because many of our modern-day, uncontrolled channels of communication can easily dull your conscience and desensitize you to the wickedness of sexual sin.
- “My son, keep your father’s command and do not forsake the law of your mother; bind them on your heart and tie them around your neck. When you roam they will lead you; when you sleep they will keep you; and when you awake they will speak with you.” Proverbs 6:20-22