Talks for Growing Christians
Wisdom in Diligence
Lesson Number 46
- The Proverbs are wise advice for everyday living.
- Have you passed the Praise Test?
- Several proverbs in this lesson teach us about personal characteristics that are not found in the life of a godly person. Identify those verses and the ungodly characteristic in each of them.
- Several proverbs in this lesson teach us about ways of life that can enhance our godliness. Identify them and the practices that can help to mature us
- What are the spiritual resources available to make possible the development of a godly lifestyle?
- Verses 14, 15 and 16, 20, and 22 expose ungodly characteristics such as a lack of sensitivity to those around us (v 14), an attitude of complaining and scolding (vs 15, 16), a pleasure-seeking eye (v 20), and an unwillingness to give up foolish ways (v 22).
- In contrast, verses 17, 18, and 21 reveal ways of life that can help us become more Christ-like, such as improving our knowledge and wisdom with the counsel and insight of other believers (v 17), being diligent in the keeping of our responsibilities (v 18), and responding to praise with humility rather than with pride or arrogance (v 21).
- First, the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ can separate a person from the foolishness of unbelief. Then, the power of the Holy Spirit is available to the believer to help in resisting and overcoming the habits of our sinful nature.
- Discuss in your family or small group the ways and means to hold one another accountable for the godly and ungodly habits and attitudes that reveal themselves in your lives. Consider establishing a regular time and setting to share your insights and discernment.
- What has been your grade on the Test of Praise? Has praise which you have received from others been an encouraging, learning and maturing experience for you, or has it been a catalyst for pride, arrogance and the putting down of the very ones who graciously offered praise to you? Take the challenge of verse 19 in this lesson, and allow God’s Word to grade you on the Test of Praise.
- “As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.” Proverbs 27:17
- “The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold, and a man is valued by what others say of him.” Proverbs 27:21