Talks for Growing Christians
Wisdom in the Home
Lesson Number 29
- The Proverbs are wise advice for everyday living.
- Know the key for a happy home!
- Does the second line of the proverb in verse 2 (“And he sins who hastens with his feet.”), teach that a believer should not be energetic and zealous in his or her service to the Lord? How does the proper understanding of this phrase relate to the first line of the proverb?
- Do the wise sayings of Solomon in verses 5 and 9 mean that there is never a false witness who manages to avoid punishment? Explain.
- Does the proverb in verse 12 give advice to a person in authority, as well as to a person under authority?
- To understand the teaching of the second line of the proverb in verse 2, we must consider the first line. The proverb does not teach that a believer should refrain from zeal in his or her service for the Lord, but zeal without knowledge, direction, caution and appropriate timing can be destructive. The apostle Paul said of Israel in Romans 10:2, “For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.”
- Remember, the wise sayings of Solomon (proverbs) are general truths stated in general terms. Generally, it is true that a false witness will incur appropriate punishment. Also, considering the word “perish” in verse 9, it is true that false witnesses will be punished with an eternal separation from God if they do not turn to the Lord and find forgiveness and salvation.
- Yes. For the person in authority, there is wise advice to demonstrate kindness, expressed in this proverb as “the dew on the grass.” For the person under authority, there is a caution to exercise proper submission to authority, so as not to incur “ wrath like a roaring lion.”
- Discuss the positive impact that a prudent wife and mother have on the Christian home. Consider the influence that the godly wife has on the children in the home, on the spiritual health of her husband, and on the management of her household. Identify godly, prudent wives in your church or fellowship group who are righteous role models in their homes.
- Husbands of a godly and righteous wife . . . are you giving thanks to the Lord regularly for the gift God has given you? Wives of a godly and wise husband . . . are you recognizing the blessing that God has given you in a righteous and supportive man of God? Pray today for the Lord’s continued blessing upon your marital relationship and on your faithful obedience to Him..
- “Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.” Proverbs 19:14