Talks for Growing Christians
Wisdom in Self Control
Lesson Number 20
- The Proverbs are wise advice for everyday living.
- Vote in line with the Bible as much as possible!
- Two verses in this lesson contrast misplaced confidence and well-placed confidence. Identify these two verses and the primary teaching about confidence for the believer.
- In which verses in this lesson can you identify a wise saying about self-control?
- Describe how the teaching of the proverb in verse 25 could be applied to a courtroom situation.
- The proverb in verse 16 speaks of the misplaced confidence a foolish person has in himself and in his wild ranting. The contrasting proverb in verse 26 speaks of the well-placed confidence a wise person puts, not in himself, but in the Lord. This properly recognized confidence can be a place of security for his children as well.
- Wise teachings about self control regarding direction of life (v 15), avoiding evil (v 16), choosing mercy and goodness (vs 21, 22), working diligently (v 23), and controlling anger (v 29), are all found in this lesson.
- It is clearly understandable how the testimony, truthful or deceitful, of a courtroom witness could determine the life-or-death outcome for the accused in a trial. It is also clear that personal testimony, truthful or deceitful, about God’s love and Christ’s work on the cross could make the difference in where an unbeliever spends eternity. Believers are to be truthful witnesses!
- Discuss the current political issues upon which biblical principles and truths can be applied. Identify specific Scripture verses that would defend your position on these issues, as well as candidates who hold viewpoints similar to your own or that of your fellowship group.
- In spite of what the government has done in an attempt to remove God from our schools and places of work, have you, as a believer, continued to be salt and light in your circle of friends and co-workers? You can be a witness for Christ both in demonstrating a godly lifestyle and in the personal testimony of the new life in Christ that God has given you.
- “The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to avoid the snares of death.” Proverbs 14:27
- “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.” Proverbs 14:34