Talks for Growing Christians
Wisdom in Parenting
Lesson Number 18
- The Proverbs are wise advice for everyday living.
- Think of your grandchildren!
- Solomon’s wise sayings in three verses of this chapter address the relationship of the father and his children. Identify these verses and briefly state the teaching of each verse.
- Two consecutive verses in this chapter speak of the written source of wisdom. Identify these two proverbs and compare the lives of the people mentioned in them.
- What is the wisdom teaching of the proverb in verse 23?
- Solomon addresses the relationship of a father and his children in verses 1, 22 and 24. These proverbs teach us that a son who is wise will not spurn the instructions or the rebuke of his father (v 1), a father who is wise will consider the well-being of his children and grandchildren (v 22), and a father who loves his son will discipline him appropriately and early in the son’s life (v 24).
- Two verses, 13 and 14, speak of the Word, the commandment and the law of God as sources of wisdom. The person who turns to the Word, fears the commandment and learns from the Law finds reward and life. The person who despises the Word, neglects the warnings of the commandment and is not taught by the Law faces destruction and death.
- Verse 23 presents the general teaching that poor people can be productive and fulfill their needs if they are protected from injustice.
- Discuss practical means that will help you care for the material needs of your children and grandchildren in the coming years. Consult Christian friends or books that offer sound and helpful advice. Consider specific ways that you can positively impact the spiritual needs of your children and grandchildren. Make note of how each child and grandchild will have different needs, both material and spiritual.
- Solomon repeatedly offers wise advice concerning the importance of choosing wise and righteous friends and companions (see verse 20). Take time this week to review your circle of friends and companions to be certain that you are to be found in the company of wise and righteous people.
- “He who despises the word will be destroyed, but he who fears the commandment will be rewarded. The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death.” Proverbs 13:13, 14