Talks for Growing Christians
Judaism Counted for Nothing in Righteousness
Lesson Number 14
- A person can have a relationship with Christ on the basis of faith alone.
- A person can have the righteousness of Christ on the basis of faith alone.
- For the non-Christian; there is only one item needed on your personal resume.
- For the Christian, there should be only one item on your personal ledger.
- Who were the Judaizers of Paul’s day?
- What did the non-Christian Judaizers say about salvation?
- What did the Christian Judaizers say about sanctification?
- How did Paul know so much about Judaizers?
- Can a person be saved on the basis of the following?
a. a religious ceremony
b. through religious connections
c. through a religious party
d. by a religious record
e. through religious righteousness
- The Jewish false teachers who distorted the simple gospel of Jesus Christ.
- They said that you could not be saved apart from the law of Moses.
- They said that you could not be sanctified or become spiritual apart from keeping the law and traditions.
- Paul was once a Judaizer himself.
- a. No, not by circumcision or by infant baptism, for example.
b. No, not by tribe, stock, or family
c. No, not by being a Pharisee, a Baptist, a Presbyterian, or a Catholic, for example
d. No, not through zeal or advancing in Judaism or any religion
e. No, not through righteousness within the law, or keeping the commandments
- How can a person have the righteousness of Christ?
- How would you deal with someone who believes that he is saved on the basis of a religious ceremony, through religious connections, through a religious party, by a religious record, or through religious righteousness? Look at these beliefs, one at a time, and consider how you would deal with them.
- Seriously contemplate the only item you need on your personal resume and on your personal ledger.
- “What things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness…but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.” Philippians 3:8-9