Talks for Growing Christians
Christians Who Followed the Self-Giving Model of Christ
Lesson Number 11
- A gracious concept of fellow believers tends toward unity.
- A genuine concern for fellow believers tends toward unity.
- As sacrifices, let’s not call all the shots.
- As servants, let’s try to serve as children.
- What did Paul mean by saying that he was a drink offering and that the Philippian believers were the sacrifice?
- What is the proper concept of yourself with regard to fellow believers?
- How does a genuine concern for fellow believers tend toward unity?
- In this passage, who does Paul set forth as examples of those who have a genuine, unselfish concern for the Philippians?
- Why did Paul plan to send Timothy to the church at Philippi?
- What does it mean that all seek their own, not the things of Christ?
- Paul’s concept was that he was a drink offering and the Philippian believers were the sacrifice. He based this on the Old Testament sacrificial system, where a container of wine was poured out on the regular sacrifice, a sweet aroma to the Lord (Numbers 15). The drink offering was not the sacrifice, but an addition to the sacrifice. Paul viewed the Philippians as the big sacrifice, and he viewed himself as only an addition.
- That nothing should be done through conceit, but in lowliness of mind, esteeming others better than yourself.
- When someone knows that you have a genuine concern for their wellbeing, they are motivated to work with you.
- Himself and Timothy
- Paul wanted to know how they were doing in reference to the problem of disunity. Paul trusted Timothy because of his like-mindedness. He not only knew the Philippian believers, but he had a genuine concern for them.
- Generally, people are more concerned about themselves than they are about putting Christ first.
- Discuss how Christians, as servants, are to serve as children.
- How can you demonstrate a genuine concern for fellow believers?
- View yourself as a sacrifice, or even as a drink offering. Think of all that this could mean as you relate to others.
- “…I have no one like-minded, who will sincerely care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 2:20-21