Talks for Growing Christians
A Prayer for Unity
Lesson Number 3
- Prayer for love that is knowledgeable and discerning is in the will of God.
- Prayer for wisdom to make the best choices is in the will of God.
- Prayer for character that is sincere and blameless is in the will of God
- Prayer for the life that is filled with the fruit of righteousness is in the will of God.
- Let’s pray more Philippian 1 type prayers for ourselves and for one another.
- What is “agape” love?
- “That you may approve the things that are excellent…” What does this mean?
- Define “sincere” as used in Philippians 1:10.
- What does it mean to be blameless?
- What does it mean to be filled with the fruits of righteousness?
- It is the love of God, and it is a matter of the will. It is a love of knowledge and discernment that has depth of insight and moral perception.
- Paul prayed that the Philippians might be sensitive to what really counts.
- Sincere comes from a Greek word combining sunlight and judgment. Recall from the lecture the first century application with pottery.
- Blameless as to your motives. God wants no hidden agendas.
- This is the fruit which righteousness produces. See Galatians 5:22-23.
- Check your fruit according to Galatians 5:22-23.
- Do you fight pruning? Or do you welcome it, knowing that the Lord wants you to bear more fruit? See Hebrews 12.11 and John 15:1-12.
- How sensitive are you to the things that count for God? Are you making good choices or the best choices? Determine to become more sensitive to the things that are eternal. Determine to make the best choices.
- “And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ, being filled with the fruits of righteousness which are by Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.” Philippians 1:9-11