Talks for Growing Christians
The Nation of Edom is Denounced for her Pride
Lesson Number 1
- God hates the sin of Pride.
- God judges the sin of Pride.
- Remember what happened to Humpty Dumpty
- The one chapter book of Obadiah is the shortest book in the Old Testament. What two books in the New Testament are shorter than Obadiah?
- What does the name ‘Obadiah’ mean?
- Why did Obadiah declare judgment on Edom?
- Why is Edom called a “brother nation” of Israel?
- Has the prophecy of judgment concerning Edom come true?
- 2nd and 3rd John are shorter than Obadiah.
- Obadiah means “Servant of the Lord”.
- Edom had not come to Israel's aid in her time of trouble, but had actually attacked the nation.
- The Edomites were descendants of Esau. Esau's twin brother was Jacob, the father of the twelve tribes of Israel. (Read about the start of the conflict between Jacob and Esau in Genesis 27.)
- Yes, between the 6th and 4th centuries BC the Nabataeans, a group of Arabian tribesmen, deceives the Edomites into become allies with them, then forced them out of their mountainous stronghold. The remaining Edomites became the Idumeans of Southern Israel who were forced to convert to Judaism by the Maccabees in the intertestamental times. Later, the Romans conquered the remaining Idumeans, and the Edomites effectively faded from history.
- When something good happens we readily take the credit, but when something bad happens to us we try to shift the blame onto someone else. Why are we so hesitant to admit that our shortcomings are our own fault?
- The sin of Pride is dangerous because it glorifies self instead of God. Read I Corinthians 1:18-31 where men had elevated the wisdom of the world over the wisdom of God. How is relying on the world's wisdom a form of pride? As growing Christians, what should be our source of pride?
- The Edomites were denounced for their pride. Are you hiding the sin of pride in your heart?
- Being humble doesn't mean thinking less of oneself, it means thinking of oneself less! Think of ways you can serve others and humble yourself in the sight of the Lord this week.
- “The pride of your heart has deceived you…” Obadiah 3
- “‘…though you set your nest among the stars, from there I will bring you down,’ declares the Lord.” Obadiah 4