Talks for Growing Christians
The Celebration of the Passover and the Guiding Cloud
Lesson Number 9
- God expects His people to remember how He saved them.
- God expects His people to follow where He leads them.
- Leave the where and the when to God.
- The events recorded in Numbers thus far have not been in chronological order. List these events as they would have occurred.
- Why were the children of Israel to keep the Passover every year?
- Why does 1 Corinthians 5:7 refer to Christ as our Passover Lamb?
- Why was there a cloud above the Israelites’ camp?
- How did the Israelites know where and when to move camp?
- The tabernacle was erected
The tribes brought offerings for twelve days
The lamps on the golden lampstand were lit
The Levites were consecrated
Passover was celebrated
A military census was taken
- In keeping the Passover, the children of Israel remembered how God had delivered them from the bondage of Egypt at the time of the Exodus..
- Just as the children of Israel had to apply the blood of their Passover lamb to their doorposts, so we must apply the blood of Christ to our lives for salvation
- The cloud was a symbol of the presence of the Lord. The Lord was always with His people during their time in the wilderness.
- When the cloud moved, the people broke camp and followed where God determined. When the cloud remained over the tabernacle, the people remained encamped where they were.
- God expected the children of Israel to remember their redemption from slavery in Egypt. Today He expects us to remember our salvation from slavery to sin. Share with one another the story of how God redeemed you. Marvel at the different ways He uses to bring people to salvation, and praise Him for choosing you.
- During the wilderness wanderings, God used a cloud to lead His people. Whenever it moved, they moved. And wherever it stopped, they camped. Discuss how this method of leading is full of spiritual principles for us today. God expects His people to follow where He leads them. This principle is true for believers individually and believers collectively in the church. How is your church seeking to follow God as a group? How are you following God individually?
- God sovereignly determined where and when His people moved. He knows the “wheres and whens” of your life as well. He will lead and guide you if you turn to Him. Read the promise of Psalm 32:8.
- “Let the children of Israel keep the Passover at its appointed time.” Numbers 9:2
- “At the command of the LORD they remained encamped, and at the command of the LORD they journeyed.” Numbers 9:23