Talks for Growing Christians
The Consecration of the Levites
Lesson Number 8
- Servants of the Lord should be fully committed to the Lord.
- Servants of the Lord should move on for the Lord.
- Let’s keep the lamps lit.
- What is the subject matter of Numbers 8?
- Were there any windows in the tabernacle?
- How is the lampstand a type of Christ?
- Who were the Levites? How were they different from the priests?
- Outline the Levites’ consecration ceremony.
- Lamps and Levites
- No, all light in the tabernacle came from the golden lampstands.
- As all light in the tabernacle came from the lampstand, so all spiritual light in the Church and for believers in found in Christ, the light of the world.
- The Levites were the tabernacle workers. They helped the priests with all the work of the tabernacle. The priests were a subset of the Levites, the descendants of Aaron and his sons.
- First, the Levites were sprinkled with purifying water. Next the Levites washed their clothes and shaved their whole bodies. They next offered sacrifices. Finally, the Levites themselves were offered as a wave offering.
- In Isaiah 42:6, God tells the nation of Israel that He desires them to be “a light to the Gentiles.” This was symbolized by Aaron lighting the lamps in the tabernacle. Although the nation failed in its mission, the Lord Jesus fulfilled His role as “the light of the world.” Discuss other references to light in the Old and New Testaments.
- Review the consecration procedure for the Levites. How does this picture our total commitment to the Lord? Discuss this step by step. Are you fully committed to the Lord?
- The Levites’ most active service for the Lord was between ages 25 and 50. Are the servants of the Lord in your local church following this model? If you are a younger servant you should be watching the older generation and apprenticing under them. If you are an older servant, have you taken the younger generation under your wing to train them up to carry on the service? Servants of the Lord of all ages have a valuable ministry for the Lord. Perform your service wisely.
- “The seven lamps shall give light in front of the lampstand.” Numbers 8:2
- “Take the Levites from among the children of Israel and cleanse them ceremonially.” Numbers 8:6