Talks for Growing Christians
The Provision of Land for the Levites; The Cities of Refuge
Lesson Number 39
- God provided cities of rest for the Levites.
- God provided cities of refuge for the people.
- Can you point a person to the true city of refuge?
- Did the Israelites destroy the cities in the land they conquered?
- Did the Tribe of Levi receive a territory of their own?
- What is a city of refuge?
- Did the Levites have to be working at the tabernacle at all times?
- What was the responsibility of the Levites when they were home in their cities?
- No, they conquered the cities and lived in them. This was God’s way of providing housing for the people (Deuteronomy 6).
- No, the cities of the Levites were scattered throughout the Land.
- They were places of refuge for anyone who had presumably killed someone accidentally until the courts could decide whether the killing was intentional or not.
- No, the Levites had specific duties at the tabernacle. They would work hard while they were on duty, and then they would go home to rest.
- They were responsible for keeping the people informed about God’s laws.
- The Levitical cities spread throughout the Land picture the way churches and believers should be today. We need to be strategically scattered throughout the world as light and salt. We have the answers to people’s questions! Are you readily available to share from the word of God with those who are seeking answers? Refer to 1 Peter 3:15.
- Review the interesting law concerning the cities of refuge. Hebrews 6:18 indicates the city of refuge is a type of Christ as the true city of refuge for our souls. Even our unintentional sins must be atoned for by the death of our High Priest. Discuss the additional spiritual picture of Israel acting in ignorance in their rejection of the Messiah. The Lord is treating them as manslayers right now, rather than murderers.
- In ancient Israel the way to a city of refuge was clearly marked. Today, the Bible clearly shows the way to Christ as the true city of refuge. If someone came to you for direction, could you use the Bible and point them to salvation?
- “Each shall give some of its cities to the Levites, in proportion to the inheritance that each receives.” Numbers 35:8
- “You shall appoint cities to be cities of refuge for you, that the manslayer who kills any person accidentally may flee there.” Numbers 35:11