Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Gives Israel the Boundaries of the Land
Lesson Number 38
- God determined the boundaries of the Land of Israel.
- God determined the territories for the tribes of Israel.
- Let God determine your territory.
- Where were the Israelites at the beginning of Numbers 34?
- How do these land boundaries compare the land boundaries promised to Abraham?
- Why is there a difference between these land promises?
- Has Israel ever occupied the entire land promised to them in the Abrahamic covenant?
- Who determines the boundaries of nations?
- They were encamped in the Plains of Moab, waiting to cross the Jordan River and conquer the Land the Lord had given them.
- These boundaries are not as extensive as those promised under the Abrahamic covenant.
- The boundaries of Numbers 34 were the land the Israelites were supposed to conquer immediately (although they failed to do so). Under the reigns of David and Solomon, the borders of Israel extended a little beyond the boundaries given here.
- No, but we believe they will occupy this land in the future, when they return to the Lord as a nation.
- God does. See Numbers 32:8 and Acts 17:26.
- Throughout the history of the modern State of Israel there have been constant arguments over land boundaries with the surrounding Arab states. We know how these debates will end, because we read here of God’s promise of land to Israel. Discuss when and how this land struggle will be settled.
- God controlled which territories would go to which tribes. What seems like chance was actually determined by the Lord. Read Proverbs 16:33. He has given each of us as believers a spiritual allotment of spiritual gifts, talents, and opportunities. He expects us to possess this “territory” and use what He has given us. Are you satisfied with the territory God has given you? Do not try to encroach upon others’ territories by taking a ministry God has not given to you.
- Trace the allotment of land God promised to the children of Israel on a Bible map. Praise Him that He is a God who keeps His promises both to the nation of Israel and to you as a believer!
- “This shall be your land with its surrounding boundaries.” Numbers 34:12
- “These are the ones the LORD commanded to divide the inheritance among the children of Israel in the land of Canaan.” Numbers 34:29