Talks for Growing Christians
Women's Inheritance Rights; Joshua Appointed as the New Leader of Israel
Lesson Number 31
- God listens to the logic of His people.
- The Lord provides and prepares new leaders for His people.
- Let’s have a transition attitude like Moses.
- What was the purpose of the second numbering of the children of Israel?
- How was the land to be allotted within the tribes?
- What was the objection of Zelophehad’s family?
- What new laws of inheritance were developed on account of Zelophehad’s daughters?
- Why was Moses not allowed to lead the children of Israel into the Promised Land?
- What were the Urim and the Thummin?
- The census was taken for military reasons and to determine the allotment of the land between the tribes.
- It would be subdivided to the adult males in the tribe.
- Zelophehad, of the tribe of Manasseh, had no sons. His five daughters beseeched Moses to give them an inheritance in the Land.
- If a man had no sons, his inheritance would go to his daughters. If a man had no children, his inheritance would go to his brothers. If a man had no brothers, his inheritance would go to his uncles. If a man had no uncles, his inheritance would go to his next of kin.
- Because of his irreverence at the waters of Meribah.
- They were probably precious gems, which were used by the priests in the decision making process.
- Many people have a view of God as an unreasonable, uncompassionate tyrant. But as Christians, we know we can come to Him with our requests. Discuss Matthew 7:7-11 in this connection. Go to the Lord with your case; He listens to the logic of His people.
- Before Moses died he was to pass some of his responsibility on to Joshua. Discuss the transition of leadership in your local church. Are the older men willing to train and pass on responsibility to the younger men? Are the younger men stepping up to fulfill the roles and learn from their elders?
- The case with Zelophehad’s daughters shows the high value the Lord places on women. Have you realized Scripture’s high view of women, or have you bought into what culture says about God’s view of women?
- “So Moses brought their case before the LORD.” Numbers 27:5
- “And you shall give some of your authority to [Joshua], that all the congregation of the children of Israel may be obedient.” Numbers 27:20