Talks for Growing Christians
The Defeat of the Amorites on the East Side of the Jordan River
Lesson Number 27
- Moving forward results in singing.
- Moving forward results in victory.
- Just dig a little deeper.
- Why did the Israelites travel around the land of Edom?
- What other nations had God commanded the Israelites not to fight?
- Who are the Amorites?
- Why were the Israelites singing in this chapter?
- What did the Israelites do after they conquered the cities of the Amorites?
- What was the Book of the Wars of the LORD?
- The Edomites refused to allow the Israelites to pass through their land. Rather than fight the Edomites, the Lord led His people around them. The Edomites were descendants of Esau, and therefore related to the Israelites.
- The people of Moab and Ammon, because they were descendants of Lot.
- The Amorites were Canaanites, and therefore people that God had commanded the Israelites to destroy.
- Because they were no longer wandering. They were moving forward to a place where God provided water.
- They dwelt in those conquered cities.
- It was a book containing battle accounts and songs from the Israelites’ conquest of Canaan. It was not inspired Scripture and is not available to us today.
- The Israelites sang to the Lord when they began moving forward toward the Land. Another reason to sing was the water God provided for them. Have you ever had a song to the Lord well up in your heart? Singing comes naturally when you are moving forward in the Christian life. Discuss the role of singing in the Christian life and in your life specifically.
- When you are moving forward in your walk with the Lord, you will encounter battles, but not defeat. It has been said that in the Christian life you are always moving forward or moving backward. You cannot expect to stay neutral in your walk, without progressing or regressing. How can you ensure you are moving forward in your walk with the Lord, so that you will have victory?
- The Holy Spirit and the Word of God work together to accomplish God’s purposes in a believer’s life. Have you dug into God’s Word to reach the refreshment it contains? Spend some time in the Word this week and allow the Holy Spirit to refresh you through it.
- “The LORD said to Moses, ‘Gather the people together, and I will give them water.’ Then Israel sang this song: ‘Spring up, O well! All of you sing to it.’” Numbers 21:16-17
- “Then the LORD said to Moses, ‘Do not fear [Og king of Bashan], for I have delivered him into your hand, with all his people and his land; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt at Heshbon.’” Numbers 21:34