Talks for Growing Christians
The Responsibilities and the Support of the Priests and Levites
Lesson Number 23
- God provides for the needs of His priests.
- God provides for the needs of His servants.
- Don’t forget the tithe of the tithe.
- Use all your money for the glory of God.
- Whose descendants were the priests in Israel?
- What responsibility of the priests and the Levites did God emphasize here?
- How did God provide for the needs of the priests?
- What were heave and wave offerings?
- Who are God’s priests today?
- How did God provide for the needs of the rest of the Levites?
- Is it necessary for people in full-time ministry to tithe from their income?
- All the priests in Israel were descendants from Aaron.
- He emphasized their awesome responsibility of protecting the tabernacle and the holy things from defilement.
- All of the offerings or parts of offerings that were not burned up were given to the priests. The firstfruits were also given to the priests. Any object that an Israelite devoted to the Lord (such as a wagon), was given to the priests. And they received money from any item which was redeemed (Leviticus 27), including every firstborn child and unclean animal.
- These offerings were so named because they were literally lifted up and waved before the Lord.
- All believers are God’s priests. See 1 Peter 2:5.
- The rest of the Levites were provided for by the tithes of the people.
- Yes, see the example of the Levites giving a “tithe of the tithe” in Numbers 18:26.
- The priests and Levites in Israel had the awesome responsibility of protecting the tabernacle and the holy things from defilement. We believers also have a responsibility as priests and servants today to protect the sacred things of the Lord. Discuss how you can promote reverence of the things of God. How can you encourage others to honor the Lord?
- God provides for the spiritual needs of His priests today through the Lord Jesus Christ. Discuss the spiritual provisions you have been given in the Lord. Likewise, God takes care of the physical needs of His servants today. He does this primarily through the tithes and gifts of His people. Read Galatians 6:6. Have you made giving to the Lord’s servants a priority in your budget?
- After you tithe a portion of your money to the Lord, you may use the rest as you choose. But you should not do anything with the remainder of your money that would dishonor God. Use all your money to the glory of God. Ask yourself this week – Have I given a portion of my money to the Lord? Am I glorifying Him with the remainder of it?
- “I give your priesthood to you as a gift for service.” Numbers 18:7
- “Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform.” Numbers 18:21