Talks for Growing Christians
Busy, Busy, Busy
Lesson Number 14
- Unity is essential to wall-building.
- Spiritual leaders must set the example.
- How is your attitude when you are called upon to do double duty?
- Expect to be busy in the work of the Lord.
- Describe a typical work day in the life of a wall builder.
- Did Nehemiah conduct “Operation Wall” from a desk?
- Who was the guard referred to in Nehemiah 4:23?
- What is the common theme in Nehemiah 4:21 and Ephesians 4:3?
- List the qualities of a spiritual leader from 1 Timothy 3.
- The worker cleared the rubbish, and carried heavy blocks of stones to the building site in spite of opposition, ridicule, and threats of attack. He worked from the rising of the sun until the stars appeared. “Commuters” were asked to stay inside the city to work and share in to guard duty at night.
- No. He worked alongside the workers.
- The Persian army personnel who came from Babylon with Nehemiah (verse 9).
- Keep the unity. Workers must be unified in purpose for the work to continue.
- Above reproach; one spouse; even-tempered; self-controlled; respectable; hospitable; able to explain, teach and defend the faith; not addicted to harmful substances; gentle; not contentious; not materialistic or hoarding with money; respectful children; happy, well-managed home; good reputation in the community.
- Read Nehemiah 4:22. Did the guards grumble at doing double duty? Have you ever grumbled at doing what you thought was more than your share? Read Philippians 4:13; Colossians 3:23; Psalm 18:2, 32; Isaiah 40:31; and 2 Timothy 4:17.
- The qualities listed in 1 Timothy 3 are not only for leaders. Discuss how they are a model for every Christian to follow.
- There are times when we must come apart, or we will “come apart”! After some exhausting and trying times, Jesus Himself called His disciples to ”come apart and rest awhile” Mark 6:31. Consider whether you are on the verge of “burnout” in serving the Lord, or taking too much “R&R”? What steps need to be taken to correct your situation?
- ”Give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, for your labor is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58