Talks for Growing Christians
Defending and Depending
Lesson Number 13
- Spiritual wall-building involves protecting what is built.
- Being organized in spiritual warfare honors God.
- Everyone should study some Christian Evidences.
- How had God frustrated the plan of the enemy?
- Why was the trumpeter a key person in the defense?
- What is the concept of the sword and the trowel?
- Does organization for defense in spiritual warfare dishonor God?
- Is it important to study some Christian Evidences? What does this mean?
- Where was Nehemiah when all the work was going on?
- The enemy attack was exposed, and guards were set.
- The trumpeter was the early warning system to protect the Jews from a sneak attack.
- Defense while working. Half of the builders stood guard while the other half worked.
- No. Being prepared doesn’t take away from God’s ability. It honors Him when we are ready to be used by Him.
- Yes, it is important. From the Greek word for “defend” comes the word “apologetics,” which means a systematic defense of the Christian faith. “Christian Evidences” is practical apologetics, evidence that is available to show that Christianity is credible. Knowing Christian Evidences enables us to defend the faith and to give answers to questions about Christianity.
- He was not sitting in safe, luxurious headquarters! Apparently he made constant rounds of the walls. If an attack occurred, Nehemiah and the trumpeter would go quickly to the trouble spot to rally, organize and encourage the people (verses 18,20).
- Read l Peter 3:15. Have you told someone about that hope? Are you a “trumpeter” (a warning system) to those who don’t know Christ?
- This Talk referred to a group who took a stand against abortion. List some other anti-scriptural or anti-Christian issues that concern you. What could you do about them?
- Have you been confronted about your faith? Did you defend it successfully? Set yourself the goal of knowing the Bible and its Author more intimately. Pursue a systematic study of Christian Evidences. You could start here !
- “Our God will fight for us.” Nehemiah 4:20