Talks for Growing Christians
Prayer and Precaution
Lesson Number 10
- Satan’s tactics are the same in every age.
- Prayer and precaution go together.
- Be prepared for increased opposition.
- Make sure you watch as well as pray.
- What new tactics did the enemy use in trying to stop the rebuilding of the wall?
- From what direction did the opposition come?
- What did the Jews do in response to this new form of opposition?
- What tactics is Satan using in the Creation/evolution controversy?
- Is “setting a watch” evidence of a small faith and a lack of trust in God?
- What is the difference between the prayers recorded in Nehemiah 4:4 and 4:9?
- Ridicule, indignation, mockery, and conspiracy
- From every side
- They prayed and posted guards to keep watch – night and day!
- The same as he did in Nehemiah’s day – ridicule and scorn, open threats, and even political action.
- No. God expects believers to work as well as to pray. Prayer and action go together while trusting God. Setting a watch is using the means that God gives us to fight the enemy. See Habakkuk 2:1.
- In verse 4, Nehemiah prayed a public prayer. In verse 9, everyone in the congregation prayed.
- We need to be prepared for increased opposition as we build our spiritual walls. How should we prepare?
- What kind of a watch have you set to thwart the enemy?
- Have you found that it is easier to give up than to fight? What does God have to say about this?
- Your character is tested by what it will take to stop you. How strong are you when someone ridicules you for your faith?
- “We prayed to our God…and we set a watch.” Nehemiah 4:9