Talks for Growing Christians
The Healing of Two Blind Men, and the Healing of a Demon-possessed Man
Lesson Number 23
- The Lord can remove darkness and bring light.
- The Lord can remove demons and bring healing.
- Name the divisions of the three-fold ministry of the Lord.
- What was the content of our Lord’s teaching and preaching ministry?
- What was the gospel of the kingdom?
- Why did the two blind men call out, “Son of David, have mercy on us!” ?
- Why did the Lord Jesus command the blind men not to tell anyone when they were healed?
- Teaching, preaching, and healing.
- The gospel of the kingdom.
- When Christ came to earth, He made a genuine offer of the Davidic kingdom to the nation of Israel. This was the kingdom prophesied in the Old Testament. Sadly, the Jews rejected the King and His offer of a kingdom. Thus the promises and prophecies of the earthly kingdom were not fulfilled at that time. But they will be fulfilled in the future, when Israel finally accepts her Messiah (see Romans 11). Meanwhile, the gospel of the grace of God goes out to anyone and everyone who accepts the Lord Jesus as their Savior.
- They recognized that Jesus was the Messiah; “Son of David” is a Messianic title.
- The Lord did not want people to follow Him only because of His healing powers. He wanted followers who had true faith in Him as the Messiah.
- All of Christ’s miracles were intended to teach spiritual truth. His healing of the two blind men shows that the Lord can remove darkness and bring light. Discuss 1 Peter 2:9 and 2 Corinthians 4:3-6. When we become Christians we are brought out of spiritual darkness into the marvelous light of God’s grace and truth. When did God shine His light upon you?
- Not all of Jesus’ hearers had the hardened response of the Pharisees. Multitudes were open to Christ. He described them as sheep without a shepherd, and a plentiful harvest. The harvest is still plentiful today. Are we praying for workers? We don’t have to pray for the harvest – it is already plentiful! But workers are few. Pray for workers, and discuss how you yourselves can be those workers.
- Do you know a believer who is sick? It is good for fellow believers to gather to pray for the Lord’s healing. The Lord is able to heal every sickness and disease.
- “Jesus said to them, ‘Do you believe that I am able to do this?’ They said to Him, ‘Yes, Lord.” Matthew 9:28
- “The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few.” Matthew 9:37