Talks for Growing Christians
Two More Miracles of Our Lord
Lesson Number 22
- The touch of faith brings salvation.
- The touch of God brings new life.
- Expect interruptions when you’re serving the Lord.
- The fact that these two miracles are recorded together is significant. What is the teaching of these miracles?
- What was the woman trying to touch on the hem of the Lord’s garment?
- Did Jesus’ tassels contain a mystical power?
- Why did Jesus say the girl was only sleeping, when everyone else thought she was dead?
- The miracles together depict God’s program for blessing both Israel and the Church. The synagogue official’s daughter pictures Israel, which is spiritually dead. The Lord is on His way to heal the nation. Meanwhile people are coming to Christ for healing from sin today. People who come to Christ during the present time are part of the Church.
- As a Jewish man, our Lord probably had blue tassels on the hem of His garment.
- No, the significance was not in the actual tassels, but in her faith. She reached out in faith, believing she would be healed by touching the Lord.
- He was showing that He intended to raise her to life again. Death for a believer is only a temporary state, like sleep.
- Discuss, “The touch of faith brings salvation.” The woman reached out in faith to touch the only One who could make her well. It is the focus of faith that matters. Saving faith is not focused in a church or creed, but in the person of Jesus Christ. Refer to Ephesians 2:8-9. If we reach out in faith to the Lord, He will forgive us, because He died on the cross for our sins.
- Discuss, “The touch of God brings new life.” One day the Lord will touch the nation of Israel and bring her to life again. He has not abandoned His plan for His chosen people. Look at Romans 11. God has a future plan for the nation of Israel. Thank the Lord now that He does not revoke His promises. Meanwhile, in this parenthesis in time, God has extended His plan of salvation to include Gentiles who are coming to Him today. Praise the Lord that He has extended His promise to include you.
- Follow the model of our Lord the next time you are interrupted in your Christian service. Look at the interruption as a possible new window for service.
- “Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.” Matthew 9:22
- “He went in and took her by the hand, and the girl arose.” Matthew 9:25