Talks for Growing Christians
The Resurrection of Christ
Lesson Number 79
- The resurrection of Christ was on the first day of the week.
- The resurrection of Christ was a bodily resurrection.
- Trust God to remove the stones.
- How do the four different gospel accounts confirm the authenticity of Scripture?
- Why were the women coming to the tomb?
- What day of the week is the Sabbath? What day is the first day of the week?
- How is the fact that Christians meet to worship on Sunday evidence for the resurrection of Christ?
- Since the four accounts differ in the details (but do not contradict), it shows there was not collusion or conspiracy between the gospel writers. Each wrote from his own perspective.
- They were coming to anoint the Lord’s body with oils and spices for permanent burial.
- The Sabbath is Saturday. The first day of the week is Sunday.
- Sunday has always been the Christian day of worship. The early Christians were mostly Jewish who had always worshipped on the Sabbath (Saturday). Something significant must have happened to compel them to change their day of worship to Sunday.
- Discuss the significance of the bodily resurrection of the Lord. What evidence do we have that the resurrection was bodily? Why does it matter whether the Lord’s resurrection was bodily or spiritual? Refer to Philippians 3:20-21.
- Read Matthew 16:21, 17:22-23, and 20:18-19. The Lord had prophesied to His disciples concerning His resurrection many times. Yet they were hiding at this time, afraid. They did not remember what the Lord had said. Looking back, it is hard for us to imagine how the disciples could have been so forgetful. Yet don’t you forget the promises God has made to you? What are some things God has promised us? How can we be more mindful of these promises so we will not be afraid?
- The women were not dissuaded when they thought of the stone blocking the tomb. They had faith that somehow God would send help to remove the stone. God did send an angel to remove the stone! The stone was a barrier to their ministry to the Lord, but the Lord removed the barrier. Are there stones blocking your ministry for the Lord? Perhaps a financial, legal, or physical barrier to ministry? God can remove these barriers for you. Trust God to remove the stones.
- “Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.” Matthew 28:1
- “He is not here; for He is risen, as He said.” Matthew 28:6
- “And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead.” Matthew 28:7