Talks for Growing Christians
The Plot to Get Rid of Jesus, and the Anointing of Jesus by Mary
Lesson Number 71
- Worship is never a waste.
- Worship has eternal value.
- What is your value of the Lord?
- Is it a contradiction that John records the anointing of Jesus as six days before the Passover, and here Matthew records it after Matthew 26:2?
- What was Matthew emphasizing by recording Mary’s anointing in Bethany here?
- Why did the chief priests and elders plan to wait until after the Passover feast to betray Jesus?
- Were the disciples truly concerned about the welfare of the poor in Matthew 26:8-9?
- Who was Simon the leper?
- No, the gospel writers would often put events out of chronological order if they were emphasizing a theological point. Since Matthew did not say when this anointing occurred, there is no contradiction problem.
- He was contrasting the love and compassion of Mary of Bethany with the betrayal of Judas and the hard hearts of the chief priests and elders.
- So there would be less chance of a riot (Matthew 26:5)
- No, the parallel account in John 12:4-6 tells us that Judas made this objection because he wanted to take the money for himself.
- He was probably a man whom the Lord had healed from leprosy. He might have been the father of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus.
- Think back on your use of time in the past month. Does it indicate that you believe that your time spent in various ministries is more important than your time spent in worship? Both ministry and worship are important to the Lord. But worship must be emphasized. Discuss: True service is an extension of worship from the heart. Worship is never a waste.
- When the Lord Jesus did not match Judas’ expectation of a conquering ruler, he agreed to betray Him for thirty pieces of silver. He betrayed the Lord for the price of a slave. Do you hold onto your own expectations for what the Lord should be and do? Make sure that your expectations match what the Lord has promised. Discuss some of the promises He has made to His children. Discuss the danger of holding onto your own expectations.
- The Lord foretold that Mary’s act of worship would be remembered forever. This has come true as her story has spread with the Word of God throughout the world over history. Malachi 3:16 promises that all true acts of worship will be remembered by the Lord. How will you make worship a priority in your schedule this week? Worship is never a waste.
- “For in pouring this fragrant oil on My body, she did it for My burial.” Matthew 26:12
- “‘What are you willing to give me if I deliver Him to you?’ And they counted out to him thirty pieces of silver.” Matthew 26:15