Talks for Growing Christians
The Future Judgment of the Nations
Lesson Number 70
- The Judgment of the Sheep and the Goats is a judgment of the nations
- The Judgment of the Sheep and the Goats is a judgment based on works.
- The Judgment of the Sheep and the Goats is a judgment resulting in eternal destinies.
- Remember, God’s rule of thumb is grace.
- Review the structure of the Olivet Discourse.
- Will the sheep and the goats be divided individually or nationally?
- When will this judgment take place?
- What is the reward in this judgment?
- Why are the sheep and goats judged for their works?
- What is the destiny of the unbelieving goats? the believing sheep?
- he Jewish Aspect Matthew 24:1-44
The Christian Aspect Matthew 24:45-25:30
The Gentile Aspect Matthew 25:31-46
- Individuals within the Gentile nations will be judged to determine whether they are sheep or goats.
- At the end of the coming Tribulation Period, when the Lord sets up His throne for His glorious kingdom on earth (Matthew 25:31)
- Entrance into the Lord’s Millennial Kingdom
- Their works of kindness show the presence or absence of faith. It will take much faith in the Lord Jesus for a Gentile to show kindness to Jewish believers during the Tribulation.
- The destiny of the goats is hell. The sheep will enter into the Millennial Kingdom and then go onto the Eternal State.
- The Lord takes note of our works of kindness and compassion that are evidence of our faith. We will be rewarded for these at the judgment seat of Christ. Praise the Lord for His graciousness. Could someone say of you that your rule of thumb is grace?
- Gentiles at the end of the Tribulation Period will be judged according to their works of kindness to the Jewish believers during the Tribulation. There will be much anti-Semitism during the Tribulation, as there has often been throughout history. Yet here we see another fulfillment of the Lord’s covenant with the Jewish people to “bless those who bless you, and curse him who curses you” Genesis 12:3. The Lord has always been faithful to His chosen people, the Jews. How have you seen that same characteristic of faithfulness manifested to your life?
- No one will escape the Lord’s judgment. Every person who has ever lived will stand before the Lord to give account of his life. How will you stand up under judgment?
- “And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.” Matthew 25:33
- “Inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.” Matthew 25:40
- “And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” Matthew 25:46