Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Heals a Demon-Possessed Boy
Lesson Number 45
- There are peaks and valleys in the Christian experience.
- There are cases of demon possession in the Christian experience.
- Bring children to the Lord.
- Whom is the Lord speaking to in Matthew 17:17?
- What mountains can believers move if they have faith as a mustard seed?
- What does the promise in Matthew 17:20 mean?
- What valley followed Peter, James, and John’s mountaintop experience?
- How does prayer and fasting relate to casting out demons?
- To the man, the disciples, and rest of the crowd. They were a cross-section of a generation that should have had more faith, but they doubted and questioned God’s ability.
- Any mountain that represents a problem or difficulty in the life of faith of the believer.
- If you have even a little faith in the Lord’s ability you can see large problems and difficulties in your Christian life removed in the will of the Lord.
- They came down from the Mount of Transfiguration, where they had seen a preview of the Lord’s kingdom, down to a mundane problem with a demon-possessed boy. They were even scolded for their lack of faith.
- Prayer shows our reliance on God as we call to Him for help. Fasting involves keeping self in check. Both are needed when confronting demon possession.
- Recall a mountaintop experience in your walk with the Lord. Now recall a valley in your spiritual life. Both are part of the Christian experience. Your faith can be strengthened on the mountaintop or in the valley.
- “Bring children to the Lord.” If you are a parent, how are you raising your children to know the Lord? If you do not have children of your own, you can still be involved in bringing children to the Lord. Discuss the children’s ministry opportunities available in your local church. How do people benefit from coming to the Lord at a young age?
- Are you facing any mountains right now in your life of faith as a believer? Pray in faith and the Lord will show you how to deal with the mountain problem. Note that He will not necessarily remove the problem, but He will show you how to handle it. His grace and guidance will sustain you, and your faith can even be strengthened.
- “If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20