Talks for Growing Christians
The Miracle of Our Lord Walking on the Sea of Galilee
Lesson Number 38
- The Lord intercedes for us at the right hand of God.
- The Lord calls us to walk by faith in the storms of life.
- Just say the three words, “Lord save me!”
- What is the theme of the Gospel of Matthew?
- How do liberal theologians try to explain away this miracle?
- How is the Lord’s intercession for us seen in this passage?
- What is the spiritual picture taught by Peter walking on water?
- When did Peter begin to sink?
- The King and His kingdom.
- They say the Lord was walking on a sandbar, and only appeared to be walking on water. This event was exaggerated by early Christians until it became a miracle.
- In Matthew 14:23, Jesus went by Himself to pray. This is a spiritual picture of our Lord’s present ministry. We are like the disciples on the stormy sea, while the Lord is on the mountain (in heaven) praying for us.
- The Lord not only comes to us during the storms of life; He wants us to go to Him, and walk by faith.
- When he looked at the wind and the waves.
- Read Romans 8:34 and Hebrews 7:25. The biblical truth that the Lord intercedes for us is modeled in this account from the Lord’s life. The Lord is aware of our struggles. He can come to us in the midst of our storms, with His comforting presence to bring peace and calm to our troubled waters. Recall a time when the Lord has comforted you in the midst of a storm of life. Praise Him that He intercedes for us with the Father.
- Are you facing any storms in your life right now? These storms might include sickness, financial struggles, a broken relationship, or death of a loved one. No matter how tempestuous our storm may seem, the Lord calls us to walk by faith in the storms of life. Discuss how you can keep your eyes on the Lord, not on the storm. Remember that Peter began to sink only when he took his eyes off the Lord and began to look at the waves around him. Refer to Hebrews 12:1-2.
- Is the Lord calling you to take a step of faith out of the boat into some new area of ministry? If you stay in the safety of the boat you may miss out on seeing the Lord’s miraculous hand at work. Take that step of faith and keep your eyes on the Lord – He will help you walk!
- “He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray.” Matthew 14:23
- “He was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, ‘Lord, save me!’” Matthew 14:30