Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Gives More Teaching and Encouragement to His Disciples
Lesson Number 26
- The demands of discipleship are hard.
- The rewards of discipleship are sure.
- Even you can give a cup of cold water.
- How do you explain Matthew 10:34, “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.” ?
- What did the Lord mean by, “take up your cross and follow after Me” ?
- Do you have to be a martyr to “lose your life for the sake of Christ” ?
- How can you find your life by losing it?
- The Lord did come to bring peace, in many ways. Here He is teaching not everyone accepts the peace He offers, therefore there is division and separation, symbolized by the sword.
- He does not mean to carry your own problems, such as poor health or a disappointment. The cross was a means of execution. To take your cross means to lose your life for the sake of Christ.
- No, most Christians are not called upon to be martyrs for their faith. But all Christians can “lose their life” by being such devoted followers of Christ that there is no room in your life for self-gratification. This shows your willingness to die for Christ.
- As you give up living your life for yourself and your own interests, and instead serve the Lord and His interests, you will find real joy and satisfaction in life.
- Review the ways our Prince of Peace brings peace on earth. Christ brings peace between Jew and Gentile in the Church – Ephesians 2:13-17. Christ is the only means of peace from the guilt and penalty of sin. Because of His death on the cross we can have peace with God and the peace of God. Only through the Lord Jesus can we have peace in our relationships with one another. Only through Christ will true and lasting peace come to the earth, when He returns as the Prince of Peace. Praise God today for His Son, your peace.
- There can be division within families when some believe in Christ. Perhaps you are divided from your family because of your faith. This is a very difficult situation. You can pray for the Lord’s strength as you seek to testify to your family about your faith. But remember, allegiance to the Lord should take precedence over family ties.
- The rewards for discipleship are not just for this lifetime. You will be rewarded eternally for following after Christ. Think of this motivation for serving Christ this week. Where are you giving a cup of cold water?
- “He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.” Matthew 10:39
- “And whoever gives one of these little ones only a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward.” Matthew 10:42