Talks for Growing Christians
The Lord Exhorts and Encourages His Disciples
Lesson Number 25
- Disciples of the Lord Jesus will be persecuted for their faith.
- Disciples of the Lord Jesus will be encouraged in their faith.
- Is He Lord by my lips and my life?
- What was the purpose of the sign miracles performed by Jesus and His apostles?
- Are Christians today able to perform sign miracles?
- Are all believers persecuted for their faith?
- Why are disciples of the Lord Jesus persecuted for their faith?
- Who was Beelzebub?
- Who is the “him” who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell?
- The sign miracles confirmed that Jesus was the Messiah and His teaching was truly the Word of God.
- No. God can perform miracles today and Christians could be called on to cast out a demon, but it is not the norm for Christians to perform miracles today.
- No, many Christians hide their faith and do not do not live it out, so they are never persecuted. But those who are living out their faith as disciples of the Lord Jesus can expect persecution (see 2 Timothy 3:12).
- Because our master, the Lord Jesus, was persecuted for His faith. See Matthew 10:24-25.
- Beelzebub was a demonic deity of the pagan Ekronites. The Jews used this name as a synonym for Satan.
- God. Remember that God is the One in authority over our eternal destiny, not Satan.
- Look at John 14:6, “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.’” Our world hates the teachings of Christ. The more you stand for His truth, the more you will be persecuted. Are you standing up for the truth enough to be persecuted? Discuss different types of persecution – remember it is not only physical. Take a stand for the Lord this week.
- “Do not fear.” The Lord repeated this three times to His disciples. This message is as important for us to hear as it was for them. Discuss how people today live their lives constantly in fear. Unfortunately, this is true for many believers as well. But we do not have to fear! Review the reasons from this passage that believers should be encouraged, and not fear.
- God knows when a sparrow falls from a tree. He knows how many hairs are on your head. Find peace in the truth that He knows and controls every event in your life.
- “A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master.” Matthew 10:24
- “Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.” Matthew 10:28