Talks for Growing Christians
The Disciples Were Told to Proclaim: the Kingdom of Heaven is at Hand
Lesson Number 24
- The gospel of the kingdom was preached before the resurrection of Christ.
- The gospel of the kingdom will be preached after the Rapture of the Church.
- Prepare your Bible studies and sermons.
- What is the theme of Matthew’s gospel?
- Why does Jesus refer to His followers as “disciples” in Matthew 10:1, and “apostles” in Matthew 10:2?
- To whom were the apostles supposed to preach their message?
- Why were the apostles not to preach to the Gentiles?
- What gospel was preached by John the Baptist and Jesus?
- What was the gospel of the kingdom?
- What is the time frame of Matthew 10:22-23?
- The King and His Kingdom.
- A “disciple” is one who is taught. An “apostle” is one who is sent forth with a message. The disciples were taught by the Lord, and now they are sent forth with the message of the kingdom.
- They were to preach only to the Jews, not to the Gentiles or the Samaritans.
- At this time the gospel of the kingdom was being proclaimed. This was only for the Jews. Today the gospel of the great commission is available to all who will believe.
- The gospel of the kingdom.
- The offer of the Messianic kingdom promised and prophesied in the Old Testament.
- This is referring to the future time right before the second coming of Christ.
- Jesus sent His apostles out to preach the gospel of the kingdom to the nation of Israel. Discuss the gospel of the kingdom. This concept is not understood by most believers today. Thus they have a lot of confusion when they read the teaching of Christ. Understand the difference between the gospel of the kingdom and the gospel of grace.
- Here is another difficult concept many believers do not understand. Discuss it now: Because the King and His kingdom were rejected by Israel, the Church composed of believers from all nations was brought into being. After the Rapture of the Church, the gospel of the kingdom will once again be proclaimed. Many Jews will believe when this gospel is preached during the Tribulation period, following the Rapture. They will believe in the Messiah they once rejected. Some believers will be martyred during this time, but some will “endure to the end” and enter the earthly kingdom of our Lord.
- If you are called upon to testify about the Lord, without having time to prepare, He will give you the words to say. But when you do have time to prepare for a Bible study or sermon, take the time!
- “Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” Matthew 10:6
- “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.” Matthew 10:16