Talks for Growing Christians
The Miracle of the Blind Man, who Was Healed in Stages
Lesson Number 34
- Context is helpful in determining the meaning of the miracles.
- Let's take the necessary steps to obtain 20/20 spiritual vision.
- What is the common denominator between Mark 8:23 and John 9:6?
- What does it mean, "The man saw men like trees walking?"
- Why did Jesus tell the man to go home, but not to tell about the miracle?
- Why did the Lord heal the blind man in stages?
- Why is it important to look at the context of miracles?
- List the steps, as shown in this miracle, to obtain 20/20 spiritual vision.
- Jesus spit on the eyes of blind men when He healed their blindness.
- He had fuzzy vision. His eyes were not yet clear, nor his vision fully restored.
- He didn't want crowds following Him because of His miracles.
- Coming to spiritual maturity is not instant, but it takes place one step at a time. His vision was cleared in stages, just as is our spiritual vision. The Lord wants to clear our spiritual eyesight, and this teaching is dramatized in the miracle of healing by stages.
- The disciples were believers, but they had a lack of understanding. They loved the Lord, but lacked understanding. There was need for spiritual enlightenment. The Lord said to Peter that he was not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men. We need to look at the context of the Lord's miracles for clearer understanding.
- a) let the Lord lead, b) there must be separation from the world (Bethsaida was a city under judgment, and so is the world), c) humility is required (the man submitted to the Lord's treatment, and so must we (see 1 Peter 5:6), and d) let the Lord keep His hands on your eyes.
- Whenever you read about a miracle in the Bible, be sure to look at the context.
- Are you content with limited vision (seeing men like trees walking)? There is always need for keener eyesight. Think of ways that yours can be enhanced.
- Review the steps in obtaining 20/20 spiritual vision. As you have grown spiritually, can you identify with these steps? Are there certain stages that you need to attend to more carefully?
- "Then Jesus put His hands on the blind man's eyes again and made him look up. And he was restored and saw everyone clearly." (Mark 8:25)